Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Day The Monkey Got Away...

...and it wasn't my "monkey"! My friend Melissa and I were at the zoo today with our little monkey kids when we were headed down to see the mountain goats and were asked to leave the exhibit because apparently a monkey was on the loose. Which did help explain the anxious and strange zoo staff walkie talkie conversations we overheard earlier (something like, "keep the kids away from the tropical exhibit!"). But we weren't too worried about it (being the out of touch with the rest of the world I wasn't aware of the recent horrible chimp attack) and so we started heading up to check out some other animals when we found out that in fact the zoo was being evacuated. The staff didn't seem too worried about things, but were calmly directing zoo goers toward the exits and carousel. So lucky for us we got a free carousel ride! This is one of Quin's favorite things to do at the zoo, so he was thrilled.
After that, as we were heading out the north entrance to play at the packed playground and I overheard those walkie talkies again, "the animal is down". Well little Riktus was just fine after getting captured, but what excitement! And we sure had a fun time at the playground!
In fact, Hazel even had her first playground swing experience. For the first second she wasn't sure, then she was all gummy grins! And Quin was thrilled to help push.
What a fun morning, thanks so much for thinking of us on your week off Melissa. We had a blast with you and Carter!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my!! Monkey on the loose at the zoo??!!That sounds like a lot of excitement for one day! I'm glad no one was hurt. ;-) I haven't heard of these chimp atacks either... I'm so out of touch!

Melissa said...

Ohhh, I am so late in enjoying this, seems like weeks ago already! I look forward to more ZOO adventures with our "monkeys" and thanks for the fun card(s). If you every have a free moment (yeah right) I'd love a few of those beautiful picts you took :) Love you, Melissa