Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Spring Break 2011, Chapter One: San Juan

I'd love to share so much on this here blog because I love printing up my blog books to read later, even if it's just a year later. So, I am making it a goal to backtrack a bit and share, even if it's only for myself ;), and I'm going to start with a little story of our Spring break this year, but I should really go to bed, so I think I'll share the title page and chapter one instead of the whole novel. 
Title Page
Chapter One: San Juan Adventure
Chapter Two: Around and About Right here!
Chapter Three: Vashon Playgroup Party
Chapter Four: Easter Day at Home and On Bainbridge
Considering we aren't even islanders, I'd say taking that many different ferry rides in a week was pretty adventurous, even if we didn't even leave the state!
So, onto: Chapter One: San Juan Adventure
Todd had a meeting on San Juan Island on Monday of Quin's spring break, so we took advantage of the time and the offer of his co-workers cabin, and went early on Saturday to enjoy the mini vacation. Considering he had had one heck of a week dealing with Army Corp stuff, coaching lacrosse, and sampling out in the field (long, tough days those are) Papa Todd needed to get away. It was such a great ferry ride too, the sun was shining (umm, it has been the coldest spring here since the 50's), and the kids were thrilled with the upper deck and long boat ride. 
Todd and I were reminded of the last time we were in the San Juan's, nearly 9! years ago on our mini honeymoon.
The cabin was a fun place to stay too, a cozy spot in the woods, and fully stocked with plenty of beds for all.
 
Q got to stay in the loft, which since I didn't photograph I guess we'll just HAVE to go back to prove. ;) We explored around the cabin and had dinner in the first night there. There were ponds and meadows all around so it was a great place to explore with the kids.
Then we were up bright and early Sunday morning ready for adventure. We first stopped at the sculpture park in  Roach Harbor. It's so incredible that I will have to write a Chapter One subchapter on "The Sculpture Park Tour". But here's a glimpse, 
 
we circled all around though Miss. H was a pretty crazy fusspants at times since she has become the opposite of Quin and WILL NOT tolerate getting mud or water on herself (HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP!!).
 
From there we headed over to English Camp and explored a bit around there. Then it was back to the cabin for lunch and nap/quiet time. When revived we went out to do more park exploration. First stop Lime Kiln State Park, 
where if you are lucky you might get to see orca's from, though not often this time of year, so again I do believe we'll have to go back! Papa and Q had a great time exploring along the rocks
and watching and learning about the rain in the distance.
H and I mostly stayed above after a bit of an exploration.We practiced photography skills,
 
Then it was down the Island to American Camp where we learned even more about the "Pig War". A the visitor center H tried to bring along this effeminate American soldier along with us,
We ran around the park as well,
making a bee line for this huge rock,
which was clearly calling out for us to climb on and slide down,
Then to end our fun day we went into Friday Harbor to have dinner at a nice restaurant! The kids loved it of course and so did we. 
Q deer watching on Monday morn
While Todd was at his meeting on Monday, the kids and I played at cute island toy shop where they each got to pick out a little something, and then at the playground in town. Mostly the kids were drawn to the empty skate park, which they seem to be drawn to everywhere we go, and in which they happily run and slide. 
H's lovely and LOUD outfit for the day!
We went back to the cabin in hopes that H would fall asleep on the way back. When she didn't we got to take a nice long walk past horses and down to the march near the cabin. Fortunately H napped and Q was movie entertained while I cleaned away and packed up. Then, before you knew it, it was time to head out. I was taking a quick picture of the cabin and caught Q sobbing at the door cause he really didn't want to leave already.
(I'm not sharing this to seem mean, more to share his connection to this place, it was sweet, and the hugs and reassurance I quickly gave him resolved his concerns.)
 So, a HUGE THANKS to Kit and family and I DO hope we can make it back there sometime. 
I can't leave you with that sad face so I'll leave you with this one instead!

No comments: