Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Age of the Question

I was reading in my fav parenting book the other day about how 4 year olds ask about 400 questions a day and thought, hey, yeah that sounds about right. So, as a test of my listening skills I tried to keep track of at least a good handful of Q's q's the other day. I got a few dozen written down,which took some seriously fast writing, but the vast amounts that he asked while in the car and at the park where harder to keep track of .
His questions are pretty varied these days, such as, 
"What's the largest donut in the world?"
to "How I got my brain Mom?" 
or the following, "You know how big my heads gonna be when I'm a dad?" (yipes, there he goes again talking about being a DAD, he's 4 for goodness sake!) 
or there's his persistant questioning about animals, such as,
"Know how much vultures can drink in a day?"
He's truly thoughtful though, going from animal questions to ones like this, 
"Why were took the land?" and "We're fighting the people in different lands?" "Why were doing that?" (I'm not changing his grammar here, sorry, this is where he's at with it, and asking big questions like these doesn't leave room for correcting grammar). Uh, and my answer to this line of questioning is often, "Why indeed Quin?!"
And he's as interested in my stories as ever, with prodding questions like, 
"Mom, have you ever been bit by a snake?" or
"Have you ever ate worms?"
"Have you ever eaten leaves?" Ooo, this one prompted a fun side chat about edible plants, and our garden plants.
Of course, I love these sorts of questions as much as he does, cause I don't actually have to google anything to get the answer!
He does however interject his vast knowledge in between these questions, which can be quite informative I might add. Like, fyi, the rain forest is apparently "16 miles", when asked how many miles it is. Or elephants drink 14 (gallons, cups?) in a day. 
Did I mention that the above line of questions was just during breakfast? Yeah, you can see now, how 400 really isn't a  far cry for a 4 year old, at least not this one. And I say, bring em on Quin, bring em on!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is hilarious, Erin! I can just imagine you get quite a few good laughs every day. What a cutie. I'm going to borrow your line, "why, indeed!" LOVE IT!